Often, surveillance is mistakenly considered an easy task. Surveillance is, in fact, one of the most complicated types of investigations out there. Many private investigators offer surveillance as a service. Factually, very few investigators know how to properly perform surveillance. Here is a list of factors to ask and examine before you hire a surveillance investigator.
1. License - ask for and verify the investigator’s license. Most states require a license to operate as a private detective. States such as Indiana and Ohio require three years full time experience before one can even apply for a license.
2. Insurance - verify the investigator has appropriate insurance that covers surveillance investigations.
3. Equipment - ask the surveillance investigator about their surveillance vehicle and equipment. An experienced investigator will have a bank of equipment and suitable surveillance vehicles.
4. Associations - a surveillance investigator who belongs to an association usually has more resources, more education, and more experience. Professional associations supply a surveillance investigator with networks, resources, and education.
5. Experience - this is one of the most important questions. Ask the investigator what surveillance experience he or she has. Ask for examples of cases they have worked. Ask if they have ever lost a subject during surveillance. If an investigator tells you they have never lost someone during a surveillance, they either have no experience or are simply not telling the truth. Many things occur during a surveillance that hamper or stop the surveillance. It is impossible for any experienced surveillance investigator to not have lost a subject during surveillance.
These are just a few things to look at when considering hiring a surveillance investigator. It is equally important that you speak with the investigator. Intuition is a key element when looking into hiring a surveillance investigator. If what the investigator is offering does not sound right, it probably isn't.
Frontline Investigations & Surveillance is a full-service private investigation firm serving clients throughout Indiana and Ohio. Contact our agency today for your surveillance needs.